I’ve uploaded an experimental build of Stellarium to the usual place:
(look for stellarium-bzr4766-experimental01-win32.exe)
Like the usual test builds, it is based on the most current development code (trunk revision 4766), but merged with two plug-ins that are currently under development – my GUI for managing Solar System objects and Pep Pujols’ PrintSky for printing star charts.
I’ve started a thread at the Cloudy Nights astronomy forum. Let’s see what kind of feedback it will get.
(Boring technical comments follow: Non-programmers can skip them.)
This would be much harder to do if Stellarium didn’t use a version control system that allows easy branching and merging. I just created a local branch on my computer and merged into it the branches of the plug-ins. There were only three conflicts. I tried to resolve them using Diffuse (a free/open-source compare&merge tool), but it didn’t go very well – some of Bazaar’s conflict-marking code was left in the files. I probably didn’t do it correctly.
Before creating the package, I had the presence of mind to do some last minute tests and, as a result, added some code protecting the default Solar System objects from deletion. Before, it was possible to delete the Sun, causing Stellarium to crash and preventing it from starting again normally. 😀
Unfortunately, my presence of mind didn’t go as far as testing the Print Sky plug-in before uploading the build. I hadn’t tried to use it before. It turns out that it is confusing to use – the “Print” and “Preview” buttons are enabled only when you open the window with Ctrl+P, but are visible when you open the same window to configure the plug-in. Also, on my computer its print-out didn’t come out very well – the graphics were dark (I had selected “invert colors”) and the text was unreadable – each line was overlapping the previous one.