The first release of the joystick/gamepad plug-in for Stellarium I mentioned before is ready. An installer compatible with Stellarium 0.12.4 is available at the project’s Releases page at GitHub:
From the README/release notes:
At this stage of development:
– the plug-in supports only one controlling device. If there are more than one
connected to the system, it will pick the first indexed by SDL.
– all controls are hard-coded. Customization is planned for the future.
– the first two axes are assumed to be the X and Y axes and pan the view
– the third axis (throttle? yaw?), if present, controls zoom
– any hat switches, if present, pan the view
– button 1 (trigger?) toggles the mount mode (between alt-azimuth and
– holding down button 2 allows finer movement when panning and zooming,
similar to holding down SHIFT when using the keyboard.
– the left analog stick (if present) pans the view
– vertical axis of the right analog stick (if present) controls zoom
– direction buttons pan the view
– the button quartet on the right side:
+ the bottom button (X-cross or A) toggles the mount mode
+ holding down the right button (Circle or B) allows finer movement
+ the left button (Square or X) returns to the default zoom
+ the top bottom (Triangle or Y) returns to the current time, which is
– the left shoulder button slows down time, the right one speeds it up
I’ve also started an annoucement/feedback thread at the Cloudy Nights forums. Let’s see what kind of feedback I’ll get.
I should have done this five days ago, but several circumstances and my own tendency to procrastinate delayed it until now.